Established in 2003 by the Honourable Iona Campagnolo to recognize British Columbia writers who have contributed to the development of literary excellence in the Province. This award took a brief hiatus during 2018-2019 but was reinstated for 2020 by the Honourable Janet Austin.
This award has a separate nomination form and submission deadline. There is no fee to submit a nomination.
Supported by The Honourable Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia
The recipient of the Lieutenant Governor’s Award for Literary Excellence will be recognized as having:
- written a substantial body of literary work throughout their career; and
- contributed significantly to the literary community/industry of the Province of British Columbia.
The prize will be an award of $3,000 and a framed certificate.
- Writers must be Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents who were either born in British Columbia or whose principle place of residence has been British Columbia for at least the last five (5) full calendar years.
- Submission deadline for the 2021 Award is 5:00 pm PT on Monday May 31st, 2021.
- Writers who have written books in the following genres will be considered:
- Creative Non-fiction
- Children’s (including young adult fiction)
- Books may have been published anywhere in the world.
- There shall be only one recipient of the award each year.
- Writers will not be awarded posthumously unless they were alive at the time of selection.
Nominations will be accepted from publishers as well as writing and publishing individuals and organizations.
Nominations should be submitted by email. Please contact us if you would like to submit any materials by mail.
Please include the following in your nomination:
- No more than 10 pages of supporting materials in pdf format. Supporting materials can include letters from members letters from contemporaries or others testifying to the importance of the nominee’s work and life. Supporting material can also be things like published reviews or retrospectives. Basically anything to help the jurors to assess and contextualize the influence and impact of the nominee’s work and career.
- No more than 5 links to websites that clearly and specifically identify aspects of the nominee’s work and career. These links can feature such things as podcast interviews with the nominee or overviews of their work, wikipedia entries, biographical/bibliographic information, critical and/or creative writing by the nominee, reviews or critiques of their work, or any other relevant information that will helpm the jury to make their decision.
There is no limit to the number of individuals for which an organization can submit a nomination. All nominations and supporting materials are considered confidential.
Nomination Email Format
Please use the following format when submitting your nominations by email to info [at] bcyukonbookprizes.com.
Email Subject: LG Award for Literary Excellence, (name of nominee)
- Name of nominee + email for nominee, home address, phone number.
- Your name and contact information.
- Maximum of 5 relevant links
- Attached documents in pdf containing a maximum of 10 total cumulative pages of support material.
If you have any questions about this process or submitting supporting materials please contact our Executive Director at sharon [at] bcyukonbookprizes.com.
The jury shall consist of three prominent and diverse figures from the British Columbia literary community. The jury’s selection will be recommended to the Lieutenant Governor whose approval will be final. The award will be announced in mid-April and presented at the annual Lieutenant Governor’s BC and Yukon Book Prize Gala in the spring.