Categories & Criteria
Ethel Wilson Fiction Prize
Hubert Evans Non-Fiction Prize
Dorothy Livesay Poetry Prize
Roderick Haig-Brown Regional Prize
Sheila A. Egoff Children’s Literature Prize
Christie Harris Illustrated Children’s Literature Prize
Jim Deva Prize for Writing That Provokes
Bill Duthie Booksellers’ Choice Award
General criteria for the prizes can be found here. For prize-specific criteria, please see the Categories section.
- The book must have an ISBN.
- The book must have a print run of at least 350 copies within its first twelve months of publication.
- The book must be at least 48 pages long, unless it is a children’s picture book in which case it must be at least 24 pages long.
- The book must show in print that it was published in the appropriate eligible year (2021).
- The main language of the book must be English, or any of the traditional languages of the Indigenous peoples of British Columbia or Yukon. All books submitted in an Indigenous language must be accompanied by an English language translation.
- The book may have been published anywhere.
- To be eligible, self-published books must have gone through a formal editing process carried out by a third party.
- Anthologies, guide books, and how-to books will not be considered. Cookbooks will not be considered, except for the Bill Duthie Booksellers’ Choice Award.
- More than half of the book’s content must be new work.
- With the exception of the Roderick Haig-Brown Regional Prize, the author must have lived in BC/Yukon for the past 12 months or have lived in BC/Yukon for at least three of the past five years.
- In the event there is more than one author, the primary creator must fulfill the BC residency requirements or at least 50% of the authors must fulfill the BC residency requirements.
- Five copies of the submitted book must be provided for the jury for each prize category entered.
- Submissions must be made using the BC and Yukon Book Prizes Official Entry Form.
- The entry fee of $40.00 per prize category must accompany the Official Entry Form.
See How to Enter for more details.
Finalists and Winners
- The publishers of finalist books will be expected to participate in the shared marketing cost of print and online ads placed in periodicals and online books-related spaces announcing the finalists. Cost per book per category is $200.
- The publishers of winning books will be expected to participate in the shared cost of print and online ads placed in periodicals and online books-related spaces announcing the winners, and of the winner posters and bookmarks which are distributed to BC libraries and bookstores. Cost per book is $300.
- All publishers, authors, and illustrators are invited to attend the Soirée which is a free event.
- Tickets to the BC and Yukon Book Prizes Gala are not provided to finalists so must be paid for by the finalist publishers in order for them to attend.
- The publishers of winning books will be expected to provide up to 7 copies of the book for the “Win the Winners” contest.
- The publishers of finalist books will provide a 50% discount on books purchased by the BC and Yukon Book Prizes for the Adopt-a-Library Program.
If a book is shortlisted for more than one category the publisher will be charged the requisite amount for each category a book appears within.
By submitting your title for a BC and Yukon Book Prize, you are agreeing to these terms.